I bought some “Organic” olive oil spray without reading the label. I know, I know, not very smart! As you can see from the label, it is not clean, it has soy lecithin and grain alcohol. Yikes!
But, I feel like I need a spray. Who has time to grease a pan by hand? I did some researching and found a sprayer, I got the Misto brand at Target. This was so easy to use. The hardest part was taking it apart and washing it! You just have to fill it half way with olive oil and then pump the top before spraying each time.
So, what does this have to do with Chicken Strips? You have to have some oil spray before you put them on the baking sheet, or they will stick! These chicken strips are a hit at our house. Baking them then finishing them in the skillet makes them a little crispy. The flax seed is packed with nutrition so you can’t go wrong with these. The home made ranch dressing for dipping is delicious. Photos for chicken strips coming soon!
- 5 chicken breasts
- 1 1/4 cup of flax seed meal
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 tsp paprika
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 eggs beaten in shallow bowl
- 4 tbsp coconut oil, divided
- Olive oil spray
- Preheat oven to 375
- Spread foil on a baking sheet and spray with your new homemade olive oil spray
- To make breading: mix flax seed, Parmesan and seasonings, and place in pie plate or shallow bowl
- Cut chicken breasts into strips, about 3 per breast
- Using tongs, dip chicken in egg and coat well
- Dredge chicken in breading mix on both sides
- Place on greased foil
- Bake for 12 minutes
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tbsp coconut oil on medium heat in a skillet
- Remove strips from oven
- Put half of strips in hot oil and cook 3-4 min on each side
- Remove to plate and keep warm
- Add the other 2 tbsp oil to pan and when oil is hot cook remaining strips
- Serve immediately with homemade ranch dressing for dipping
Homemade Ranch Dressing
- 2 Tbsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp dried dill
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Add each of the dried spices to a mason jar and stir
- Can be stored at room temperature for up to 6 months
- When you are ready for the dressing, stir together 1/3 cup mayonnaise (we use Earth Balance Mindful Mayo), 1/4 cup organic whole milk and 1 Tbsp of the seasoning mix. Add more mayo if you want it thicker, or add more milk to make it thinner.
- Use immediately or refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- Next time I will double this recipe, as you can see in the below photo it didn’t make that much